9.30.2011

A Question!

this morning in my haste to get out of my house and get my day going, i was stopped by my neighbor. i was a little bugged because i had things to do. We started talking about the Lord and all of the little miracles he performs in our lives daily that we are to busy to notice and if we do notice we give only a fraction of a second of thought to them.

we continued our conversation. she has a son who is on break for a few weeks from the military. he is deployed in afghanistan. we began talking about how our children are not our own they belong to the Lord, and that they are only in our care temporarily. it is our duty to raise them up as God fearing children, teach them the laws, and to obey them.
all of this i know.

then she says,

what if you woke up tomorrow and only had what you thanked God for the day before?

that is the most profound question i have been asked in a very long time.
i have to be honest that slapped me hard. getting slapped {metaphorically}has been happening to me more than i'd like to admit lately.

i answered,
i would probably have nothing. i am pretty sure that yesterday i didn't thank God for anything. i just  floated through my day, said a quick prayer before bed and drifted off to dream land.

today i am working hard, as i should be doing everyday, to  thank God for everything thing in my life.
the good, the bad, and the ugly.
because i a pretty sure, No i know that God is allowing me to go through the bad and the ugly to get me to where i need to be in order to spend eternity with him.

i am thankful that she stopped me and that i listened.


my question to you...

What would you have if you woke up tomorrow and only had what you thanked God for the day before?


aren't little reminders lovely!
God is so Good!





Photobucket

14 comments:

Sarah {the fontenot four} said...

Wow! What a totally profound question. I don't know that I would have much today either. Very convicting!

Karen said...

Such a great post and incredibly powerful question. Excuse me while I go write down all the things I am thankful for :)

The Olive Tree Blog said...

Lovely question!! lucky I havea 4 year that still require that we pray with her at night...funny a 4 year holds me accountable ;) Can't wait to share this question!

Leslie @ top of the page said...

whoa. that is a question that really shakes things up. i'm going to remember that. thanks for sharing.

Katie @ minivan diva said...

That just stopped me in my tracks.

Mary and Dyer said...

wow! what an intense question... Thank you for sharing this because it sure sparks a ton of thought! xox

I just became your newest follower! I'd love for you to check out my blog & follow back if you'd like. :)

Blessings,
Kat
www.maryanddyer.blogspot.com

grey rose (they/them) said...

bam!
great pondering for the weekend. love you!

Heather @ Finding Beauty in the Ordinary said...

that is definitely one of my most favorite quotes of all time. love this.

Sarah B. said...

A deep and humbling question indeed! I need to work on my gratitude attitude for sure ;)

stephanie said...

KELLY!!!!! My friend! I've misses you so! Ok first off this post is like BOOM! So so good. What a powerful question. Ok now down to the serious stuff. How are you?! How are your boys? What have you been up to all
Summer and can we be BFF's again?! ; ) muah! Love you!

Flor said...

wow. I don't think I would have much at all .. how sad is that?
My pastor once said (or quoted, not sure) that we are here in this world not to be remembered but to prepare for eternity. And if we are going to be giving thanks to Him in eternity, why not start now?
Anyhoo, your post reminded me of that :)

Rebecca said...

Whoa!!!

This was a 'good' one!

I'm gonna be thinking on it for awhile. I would NOT have much...I can tell you that!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Bless you~

meg + andy said...

wow, thanks for sharing this, makes me rethink my grumpy attitude today...

here's to gratefulness!

Anonymous said...

I heard that quote several weeks ago and WOW-it hit me!
Thanks for sharing!