*i originally posted this last year, but it happened again today... bright red face, burning eyes, and hot tears. this song gets me every time*
+++
last week while i was driving my boys to school we were listening to christmas songs. i really pride my christmas song collection, and have turned it into this massive playlist on my ipod that i re shuffle often. i find excitement in not knowing which song will come up next. ;)When Christmas Comes to Town an original song from the movie Polar Express came on
my oldest son (i have 2) said "mom i'm sad.
i said "why"
he said "i can't sing this song anymore my voice cracks."
:( he sang it last year at his chorus concert and it was beautiful.
that was strike 1.
strike 2 was the opening verse of the song:
I’m wishing on a star
And trying to believe
That even though it’s far
He’ll find me Christmas Eve
I guess that Santa’s busy
Cause he’s never come around
I think of him
When Christmas comes to town
And trying to believe
That even though it’s far
He’ll find me Christmas Eve
I guess that Santa’s busy
Cause he’s never come around
I think of him
When Christmas comes to town
next thing i know my face is bright red, my eyes are burning and hot tears are pouring down my face. i tried to hide the fact that i am full on ugly crying from my boys because i really didn't want to defend my "girl moment." the men in my life live for teasing me for having "girl moments" as they so lovingly call them...would they want me to be something else? but alas they caught me. they laughed and rolled their eyes. but to my surprise didn't say anything they just continued to sing the song cracking voices and all.
the fact that my baby is growing up, his voice cracking, him shaving his mustache, and his broadening shoulders has had me in some sort of a denial for the last six months. he well actually both of my boys have grown so fast, and the opening verse of the song did me in.
i.am.blessed.
i have never had to worry about money. i have never worried where our next meal would come from or if i would be able to buy my children a christmas present or a birthday cake, and further more i have never had to worry if my children would be warm at night. i am blessed.
having said that
poverty.is.real. i don't think i think about how i can help enough. do i share my blessing enough?
the song tugged hard on my heart strings. it still does. i weep every time i hear it.
this christmas season i encourage you to get involved with a local community service project.
the possibilities are endless. share your blessing weather it be with time, money or talents. and if you have the opportunity to talk to aomeone about the Lord and his love and blessings do it.
*see what's needed at your local:
~homeless shelters
~alliance against family violence
~children's center (where children are taken from their families for safety purposes)
~check with your local Ronald McDonald they always need meals and supplies for families who are staying there.
~help serve a meal at a local soup kitchen
~adopt a family and give them christmas.
~give a toy to toys for tots.
~give canned foods to a food bank (after thanksgiving supplies are limited)
the possibilities are endless. will you join me in spreading blessings this Christmas season?
"Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."
Galatians 6:2
i hope you are all blessed this Christmas season.

4 comments:
you are so sweet! i love your heart.
what a heart felt post<3 I love it..great reminder for all of us to remember how blessed we are and that we should always try to GIVE whenever we can!
thanks for the encouragement to share our blessings with others. great verse!
floralandfudge
yes it IS real, we all need to get our hands "dirty" more often, I found working with the homeless was when I felt MOST ALIVE and like I was doing what we were made to do. That is where LIFE is found--in serving. Gosh we are way too wrapped up in our own little worlds and I hate it, I actually hate it. So I love love seeing a blogger write about poverty. LOVE it.
xo thanks kelly.
Post a Comment