11.22.2011

slow down

both of my grandparents have passed (on my dad's side)
my grandpa in 2003.
my grandma  in 2007
i miss them terribly.

Photobucket

(look at my dad's pants and flip flops...he's such a clifornian!
my grandma had 5 kids.
all of her 4 boys are in this picture.
i saw my uncle yesterday.
he is standing to the right of my grandpa in this picture.
i couldn't stop starring at him he looks so much like my grandpa.)

ever since they passed holidays have not been the same i hardly see my aunts and uncles anymore.
my dad tries to get everyone together
but life i guess gets too busy.

thanksgiving was my grandma's
 HOLIDAY.
she hosted for our whole family, immediate and extended.
she pulled it off every year without a worry or a care.
naughty kelly would say she made it her &*!^$
you get my drift.

keeping a home & garden always seemed easy for her.
i feel like i didn't take advantage of her knowledge when i could.
but, i am thankful for the things i did slow down for to learn.

life goes too quickly.

this week
slow down
enjoy the holiday
and don't worry
everything always turns out perfectly,
 and the stress you put on yourself is always in vain.

NOW
grab a tissue
&
listen to this song.
it came up randomly this morning.
it is perfect for this week.








Photobucket

9 comments:

Vivian said...

This is so sweet. I also just posted about my grandma. This time of the year sure makes you miss them more than ever.

Beth @ The Goad Abode said...

Kelly, you're so right. Slow down and enjoy the moment. We didn't get to have holidays with family that often because we were so spread out and now we don't either (I guess I followed in my parent's foot steps)...but I love looking back at old photos and remembering big get togethers!

Angel said...

Sounds like you have fun and beautiful memories of your grandparents! I hope your Thanksgiving is full of joyful remembering!

Heather @ Finding Beauty in the Ordinary said...

I REALLY needed this today. Thank you! It blessed me! I am stressing out so much as this is my first time cooking Thanksgiving and having BOTH of our families over today! EEEEKK!!!
I, too, have lost all my grandparents (before the age of 14) and miss them tons, too. Wish I had had the time to get to know them more! Love you! xo HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

stephanie said...

Love this Kelly. My grandpa passed away last year around thanksgiving and it just feels weird without him. This post made me feel good. Needed to hear it : ) love you and hope you guys have a great thanksgiving!!!

The Woman with the issue of blood said...

This post came just in time for me. I have felt overwhelmed all day. I have so much to get ready for this week including Thanksgiving, Sunday school lesson and preparing my Christmas lesson for the Mom to Mom kids for next week..ugh. I even felt a bit of chest tension. You post and video helped me alot and thank you so much for blessing me. Have a beautifully blessed Thanksgiving week.

katygirl said...

i totally get it girl. my grandma's holiday was thanksgiving too. and i have been working so much this week i have barely thought about anything other than Christmas cards. you are right. its time to slow down.

... said...

Girl this post was so real and I hope you know how much it meant to read it. I think we all are missing certain people as Thanksgiving is just two days away. It is good to remember all of the amazing memories we have experienced with them and be thankful for God placing them into our lives! :) Have a wonderful Thanksgiving dear.

Katie @ minivan diva said...

All of my grandparents have passed. I miss them too. It is weird as everyone gets older and the holidays change as it is harder to get everyone together.

I hope your family has a wonderful Thanksgiving.