8.16.2011

Friendship

when i awoke this morning Friendship was on my heart in a BIG way!

Friend. n. person known well and liked
Partners in friendship, an interpersonal relationship between humans

*Value that is found in friendships is often the result of a friend demonstrating the following on a consistent basis:
  • The tendency to desire what is best for the other
  • Sympathy and empathy
  • Honesty, perhaps in situations where it may be difficult for others to speak the truth, especially in terms of pointing out the perceived faults of one's counterpart
  • Mutual understanding and compassion
  • Trust in one another (able to express feelings - including in relation to the other's actions - without the fear of being judged); able to go to each other for emotional support
  • Positive reciprocity - a relationship is based on equal give and take between the two parties.
  • Whereby you can be oneself & make mistakes without fear of judgement.
*thanks wikipedia for the help. i couldn't have explained it better myself. HA






this is what the bible says about friendship:

John 15:12-15 
“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.
an example of  biblical friendship:
Ruth 1:16-17 
But Ruth said, “Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the LORD do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you.”

*side note:  during my 4th pregnancy (i miscarried) after my youngest, my oldest was learning about Ruth and Naomi in school. He came home one day and said, "Momma if the baby is a girl we should name her Naomi. Because Naomi was patient, and we have been patiently waiting to have another baby. Because we want lots of us." Since then the story of Ruth and Naomi has been dear to my heart. it's a beautiful story and i just LOVE his interpretation of it. it is beautiful.
C.S. Lewis on friendship:

“Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.
“Is any pleasure on earth as great as a circle of
Christian friends 
by a good fire?”
“The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in a circle of those who are.”
You all mean so much to me! I just thought you should know!





Photobucket

23 comments:

kris {life at the table} said...

i love your oldest's interpretation. love how His wisdom can come through the little ones.

Kristy said...

I LOVE this post!! BEAUTIFUL!!
I'm following along now and can't wait to read more!!

ashley marie wilson said...

SO true and SO beautiful. Friends really are God's grace manifested :)
Thankful for you girlie!

xoxo
Ashley

Katie @ minivan diva said...

Beautiful words.

Thank you, FRIEND.

The Olive Tree Blog said...

so true! I was blessed with great friends growing up & I pray daily for my kids to have godly friends!!

Moments and Impressions said...

Oh my... what a beautiful side note. Friends are so important, lovely words.

April said...

you are so sweet!
xoxo

Chrissy Thomas said...

What a beautiful post! I think we all get so wrapped up in day to day life that we sometimes forget the other people, our friends, who make the little things so much brighter and meaningful. xoxo

Vivian said...

I LOVE that image! And completely agree with all the words in this post. I've been blessed in my life to have some solid friendships. Aren't those the best?!! :)

Anonymous said...

this is so sweet. i love this post and i've been thinking a lot about friendship too. i love how you worded everything and i love the verses that you referenced. love you dear friend :)

katygirl said...

this is the first year that i feel like i have some really great friends. i couldn't have said it better myself!

kinze said...

this is perfect and so right on ... loved it!

danielle @ take heart said...

friendship is such a gift, thankful for you!

Unknown said...

really.nice ~ hope you are better.

Heather @ Finding Beauty in the Ordinary said...

Praise God for sweet friends. Great finding you on here. Your blog is oh so cute!

Laurie J said...

love the c.s. lewis quote. so true!
<3

Jami said...

Yay, I love this! You're a peach! xoxo

grey rose (they/them) said...

kelly, this is lovely!! happy to call YOU friend.

xo

Julie said...

Ohh, group hug! I love that CS Lewis quote.

Sarah B. said...

Very true words!! Your oldest has some wise words right there!! And I love the photo you shared :) I'm glad we're bloggy friends!

Rebecca said...

Your side note ~ precious! Just precious!
Thanks for bravely sharing a little piece of your heart with us!

Rebecca

Sunshine - www.cancersurvivor26.blogger.com said...

Great Post!

www.cancerinthecity.com

Kristen Thornburg said...

I love this, friend!
Such true words!